Originally there were only three farms in the surroundings of Neustift, one of them was the Pacherhof. This had been documented already long before Bishop Hartmann founded the abbey in 1142. Perhaps the Bishop already enjoyed the snacks and white wine of the Pacherhof so much then that he established the abbey there?!
But what would the Pacher-Hof be without the Gothic painters Michael and Friedrich Pacher. Friedrich Pacher, an associate of Michael Pacher (definitely related to him, if not his younger brother), was born here at the Pacherhof in 1440. The Katharine and Barbara Altar in the collegiate church in Neustift is also his work.
Besides by means of an official decree, the Pacherhof has been declared an entailed estate since 1986. The farm has to prove that it has been occupied and managed by the same family for at least 200 years. Until 1849, the farm’s family name was also Pacher.
Andreas Pacher however had four daughters and one of them, Maria, married the well-known winegrower, Huber from Elvas. This way a new family name entered the Pacherhof. Josef Huber and the Völkl farmer Johann Huber from Elvas were particularly well-known as wine pioneers of the Eisack valley. After many journeys of discovery even as far as the Netherlands, they became aware that the soil here and the partly steep slopes were best suited for Sylvaner, Pinot Gris and Gewürztraminer. At first hardly noticed, they were later imitated by many. Today, these types of wine are now the figurehead for wine-growing in the Eisack valley.
For more information on Pacher-Hof’s vineyard in Neustift
As the name Josef Huber brought such success, it was decided to maintain the name. Josef Huber, the grandson of the legendary wine pioneer, took over the farm in 1970. Until today, he has managed it skilfully with his wife, Maria, their children and the right sense of values of a farmer’s family in South Tyrol.
Today, the Pacherhof is a hotel